The eyes are often the first feature that others notice on a person. Unfortunately, over time people can develop an angry or tired look because of weakened facial muscles and drooping eyelid skin. At Del Mar Plastic Surgery in San Diego, Dr. Larry Pollack regularly performs eyelid lift surgery (blepharoplasty) to give individuals a youthful and refreshed facial appearance.
Ideal candidates for an eyelid lift procedure are in good overall health with realistic expectations and some or all of the following conditions:
- Sagging skin around the eyes
- Puffiness or bags under the eyes
- Sagging upper eyelids that impair vision
- No serious eye conditions
Eyelid lift surgery is performed on an outpatient basis under sedation anesthesia. Depending on the patient’s needs, Dr. Pollack can perform surgery on the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both.
- Upper Eyelid Lift – To remove excess skin and puffiness from the upper region of the eye, Dr. Pollack will make an incision along the crease of the upper eyelid fold to remove fat deposits and excess skin. Occasionally, some patients are candidates to have this procedure performed in the office under local anesthesia. Ask us at your consultation.
- Lower Eyelid Lift – An incision is made just beneath the lower lash line to remove excess skin and fat. If puffiness is extremely apparent, an incision may be made inside the lower eyelid to correct it, and laser resurfacing can be used to tighten and smooth the periorbital skin.
Oftentimes, patients combine an eyelid lift with a browlift or facelift to achieve complete facial rejuvenation.
When you meet with Dr. Pollack for your initial consultation, you will discuss your goals and concerns with him in detail, and he will customize the procedure to fit your needs and desires. Individuals regularly seek an eyelid lift because they want to gain an alert and rejuvenated appearance.
Once the eyelid lift is complete, swelling and bruising will be apparent for the next few days. These symptoms can be alleviated with pain medication and plenty of rest. Many patients are able to return to work in about a week, but activities such as strenuous exercise and driving should be avoided for a couple of weeks.
Although rare, risks and complications after surgery, such as bleeding, dry eyes, and visual difficulties, can occur. To increase the likelihood of a safe and effective procedure, it is best to carefully follow Dr. Pollack’s postoperative instructions.
The improvements from eyelid lift surgery are immediately noticeable after the procedure is complete. Patients do not have to worry about apparent scarring because the incisions will be concealed within the natural creases of the eyelids.
It is unlikely that eyelid surgery will be covered by insurance. In general, this type of treatment is considered an elective form of cosmetic surgery.
To schedule a consultation with our board certified plastic surgeon, please call (858) 215-6143 today. Dr. Pollack routinely performs eyelid surgery and is devoted to providing each and every one of his patients with the most successful outcome possible.